My Birth Story (warning may contain graphic information)

I really enjoyed reading different natural birth stories all across the internet and as a result wanted to share mine in hopes that it can inspire another mom to go the all natural route.

First, why I choose to go the route of an all natural birth. The fact that I’m not a big fan of needles, in the grand scheme of things had no play on my decision as I was still required to utilize a saline lock in the off chance that I had a seizure during labor. I choose to go drug free because I knew it was healthier in the long run for my baby. I had a strong faith in my bodies ability to do like millions and billions of women before me and deliver naturally. I have always been very self aware of my body what it does and how it is likely to react with different things. I know I am sensitive to medication and that I have a chemical system, which does not like to be kicked off balance. For me choosing an un-medicated birth was the best decision I could make for me and my baby.

8 plus 30 blog

It is not certain exactly when early labor began for me though I estimate it began somewhere around the early part of week 37, as I had contractions during that Monday that I was able to time at 7-8 minutes apart. The contractions however only lasted about 45 minutes before they spaced out quiet a bit more and then tapered off completely and became randomly intermittent. At that weeks appointment, my doctor decided to check me as a result of that experience and determined I was between 1 and 2 cm dilated and 30% effaced. This excited and surprised me as I had not expected to have any change. The rest of the week was pretty uneventful, but when she checked me the next week I was declared to be at a full 3cm and 60% effaced. This indicated I was definitely on my way toward a happy baby. The day following my 38 week check I experienced 50 minutes of contractions lasting 4 and then 3 minutes apart, before they just stopped again. It was later in the day that I would loose my plug amidst irregular and un-timeable contractions. I continued to loose my plug over the course of weekend. Sunday following my 38 week appointment I drank some Red Rasberry Leaf tea and ate pineapple in hopes of helping my body to prepare itself for what was likely an impending labor.

Monday, July 13, 2015 I went to bed in the early morning hours as is typical of my night owlish ways, I was having mild contractions I started to time them before I fell asleep and noted they were 5 minutes apart. I fell asleep after having timed three of the contractions. I woke up 6 hours later around 10am to what were still mild contractions, I timed them and they were three and four minutes apart. I timed them for 1 hour and then waited to see if I they continued as this had happened before where I got to just under an hour before they tapered off. After having three more minor contractions I knew it was time. I woke up my husband and told him he needed to call into work, I was in labor. I called my OB’s office and informed them of my contractions, however because the contractions were not very strong they wanted me to come into the office to be checked before sending me to L&D. They scheduled me for an emergency appointment with the on call as my OB was not available. By noon my contractions started becoming painful.

My husband and I packed up the car and went to pick up food as recommended by the nurse on our way to the OB office. The contractions were coming regularly and were taking my breath away. We sat in the office for nearly 15 miniutes waiting, but it felt much longer. My husband begged me and finally convinced me to eat two of the tacos we had purchased on our way up. I ate between contractions. Finally the OB came in while I was in the middle of a contraction it hurt to sit on the table so I was standing while leaning over it slightly as my husband applied pressure to lower back and butt. I did not experience back labor however the counter pressure still helped relieve some of the front abdominal pressure I was feeling during my contractions. I was declared to be 5 cm with bulging waters by the OB and was immediately sent across the street to L&D.

I walked into the hospital and to the elevators straight to L&D it was too painful to sit. We signed a couple of sheets of paper, and then walked to the delivery room. It was 2 o’clock when we arrived at the hospital. They hooked me up to the fetal monitors and noticed that the babies heart beat was a little slow they recommended fluids as it was a possible sign of dehydration I accepted as I was already hooked up to a saline lock anyway. They gave me one bag of fluids and quickly removed it. I labored for two hours they checked me after the first and I was 8 cm dilated, not long after that I was at a nine and then a nine and a half. When they told me I was at a nine and a half I chose to then refuse any more checks, and I started to do small pushes on my own. At this point my water still had not appeared to have broken, there appeared to be a slight leek up high, but there was no way for them to really tell. Finally, I felt that my body was 100% ready. I told them to check me. I was at a ten and they broke my water discovering meconium.

This sent the doctors into a rush, they needed to get the baby out. I pushed for about an hour and a half the head was visible, but I was having a difficult time pushing it all the way through. They asked to perform an episiotomy, I was so far gone into my own mind and I just wanted him out. I agreed without thinking it fully through they gave me the episiotomy and I pushed him out in three pushes receiving a fourth degree tear as a result. The cord was wrapped around his neck so they immediately cut it and whisked him out to be suctioned from the meconium. He was declared perfectly healthy and okay after a few minutes. They began sewing me up and I delivered the placenta easily and without much effort. I received pitocin, as they feared the tear would cause me to bleed out. After doing his measurements and clearing his lungs they handed him straight to me. 150713_063713_4

Wesley Dominique Minton was born 7/13/2015 at 5:47pm at 8 lbs 7 oz 20 and 3/4 inches long with a head 12 inches in circumference.

Though my birth did not go 100% the way it was planned, I still managed to avoid the  majority of the interventions. I was lucky to have had such a quick and fast labor. I am so proud of myself and my accomplishment with a 100% all natural birth and I can’t wait to do it again someday. My son is so beautiful and precious and I couldn’t ask for anything more.


2 thoughts on “My Birth Story (warning may contain graphic information)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s