With just a few days left to go till due date, I am at the tale end of this long tedious 9 month process. I must say it has been a beautiful ride and excellent experience. Though initially I was a little angry, upset, and surprised to find out I was pregnant and that everyone had lied about how beautifully easy pregnancy was now that I’ve reached the last moments I finally realize and see the beauty that everyone was talking about. Now looking back did I really enjoy the nausea, throwing up, scary runs to the emergency room for fear my water broke or that I’d lost the baby in the first two trimesters. NO!! Pregnancy is hard, and it often sucks as you suffer through months of being uncomfortable, sick, and worried about every little change or lack of change that you find yourself experiencing. That being said it is also beautiful and this experience has taught me so much not only about myself, but also my body that I didn’t really know, understand, or realize before. Here are ten things every pregnant woman needs and why.
1) A big water bottle with a straw, you will find yourself drinking more water than you ever imagined. Though I have/had plenty of these prior to pregnancy I found buying an extra large one much more efficient than constantly having to refill my regular sized bottles.
2) 2 body pillows (don’t waste money on the $80 pregnancy pillow, picking up 2 $8 body pillows has the same advantages. Use one to support your belly as it gets bigger and the other to support your back and butt.
3) Find a hobby you will need something to distract you during those late nights where you can’t sleep. If you find yourself in a similar situation to me where you are stuck without a job and pregnant look into doing something from home that you love. You just might discover a career you never imagined yourself pursuing before. If it weren’t for this pregnancy, I never would have realized that I could potentially make a living as a writer working from home. Consider making your hobby into a career.
4) Get a binder to organize all the to dos, coupons, and paper work you will accumulate with the baby preparations.
6) Take plenty of pictures of your growing belly, by the time you get to the end of your pregnancy you will find it a lot of fun to look back at your growth. This can also help quell any possible concerns you might have in the later days about whether your belly is too small. (Some women have this concern.)
7) Download a free contraction timer app, it beets trying to figure out your phones timer and many will keep a recorded history.
8) An exercise ball, when sitting in chairs, and even the couch becomes too much this ball will relieve so much of the pelvic pressure, also should your pregnancy progress past the forty week mark its rumored bouncing on such a ball can help bring on labor.
9) Granny Panties, yes, granny panties you want underwear that is comfortable, and if your having a summer baby breathable. In addition, you don’t want to worry about ruining good underwear when you do suddenly start to go into labor, plus all the nasty discharge prior to even reaching the third trimester isn’t a fun time either.
10) Bananas and Gatorade, its generally a good idea to have a continuous supply of snacks near by as pregnancy has a way of making you constantly hungry. However, bananas and Gatorade are highly recommended as they can help dissuade and put off a lot of pregnancy issues and side effects. Nearly every time I went in to my OB with a problem her suggestion was to eat bananas and drink Gatorade. The potassium in bananas is believed to help with charlie horses and circulation, while the Gatorade is designed to help you keep hydrated especially when you’ve spent an entire day intermittently hugging the toilet bowl.
What are some of your Pregnancy must haves and survival tips? Share in the comments below.